Our guests this week for Digital Live (every Wednesday at 6:00 pm) were Kylie Gilligan and Sheena Monnin.
Kylie Gilligan – Graduated from Eastern Michigan University with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations in spring 2021. She was a field manager for the Center for Digital Engagement and also participated in the Digital Summer Clinic. She now works in PR as an account executive at DKC. In her role, she focuses on media relations and strategic communication management.
Sheena Monnin – She is the VP of Marketing at PassiveBolt. She has a Masters in Psychology from Central Michigan University. She spends the majority of her time strategizing how to sell their Shepherd Lock product. Sheena describes herself as a serial entrepreneur and comes from a family of entrepreneurs.
- Kylie received a promotion fairly early into her career, despite the average promotion taking usually a year to achieve. She credits this to being willing to dive into her role, even though her confidence was not very strong in the early stages of her career. She stated that just offering support while not necessarily being able to complete projects independently helped her impress her coworkers.
- Sheena is a serial entrepreneur, primarily working as a solopreneur. As an entrepreneur, she says the moment when you think you know your audience is when you are hit with a curveball. Eventually, you will get to know your audience on a deeper level.
- When applying to the Digital Summer Clinic, Kylie insists on diligently preparing your resume and making sure it is up to date. She emphasizes looking over your resume to spot missing information and to present yourself in the best light.
- PassiveBolt has been with the Digital Summer Clinic for a few years and Sheena explains how the initial interview with the company you are assigned to is the time to really sell yourself. Let the company know what you are passionate about so you can develop those skills. Being confident, proactive, and informative is the best way to gain value out of the relationship.
- For more tips on how to launch a successful career, check out the episode here https://fb.watch/cbYLTC9IGz/